How to Find a Record of Employment (ROE)

Unemployment or a loss of earnings can mean a huge amount of hardship. In such a situation, it becomes imperative that you receive the financial benefits you are entitled to. A Record of Employment, or ROE, is a document that Service Canada uses to determine whether you are eligible to receive employment insurance (EI) benefits, what the benefit amount will be as well as the length of time you are entitled to receive these benefits.

What information does an ROE include?

Your employer is required to file an ROE with Service Canada, as well as provide you with a copy, every time there is an ‘interruption of earnings’, which can include circumstances such as maternity leave, termination, or a layoff, among others. An interruption of earnings occurs when your salary falls below 60% of your regular weekly earnings, including if you are absent due to illness or need to take time off to take care of an ill family member.

An ROE includes information about your employment and the reasons for the drop in your earnings including whether you were a seasonal employee, quit, or if your employment was terminated for other reasons. This information includes:

  • The period of your employment, including the start date with this particular employer and the last day of paid employment with them.
  • Information about both parties including names, addresses, social insurance numbers, etc.
  • The final pay period ending date.
  • Total amount of time worked along with the total earnings that are insurable under the Employment Insurance (EI) program.
  • The reason why employment was terminated or why the ROE needs to be issued.

The rules vary for part-time employees, or those with irregular work schedules and incomes including firefighters and estate agents, among others. In these cases, the employer is typically required to issue an ROE if you have not worked for 30 days, or your employment has been terminated.

The ROE is a triplicate form. You receive the original copy – which you need to send to Service Canada to claim EI benefits. Your employer mails one copy to Service Canada and keeps the third copy for their own records.

How do you get your copy of your ROE to apply for Employment Insurance Benefits?

There are two ways an employer can issue your ROE. The first is fairly straightforward, where your employer sends an electronic copy of your ROE directly to Service Canada. In this case, you don’t need a paper copy of your own, nor do you need to send one to Service Canada. Your employer needs to do this within 5 days of the end of the pay period in which you stopped working. All you need to do to access your ROE is to create a My Service Canada Account online

Your employer can also give you a paper copy of your ROE. This is issued within 5 days of your interruption of earnings. You then need to mail this copy to:

Employment Insurance – Service Canada

PO Box 2602

Mississauga, Ontario

L4T 0B1

Applying for EI – A few tips:

You need a ROE for every employer you have worked for in the past 52 weeks while applying for EI. It’s a good idea to ask your employer for your ROE as soon as possible. 

Apply for Employment Insurance as soon as you have had seven days without pay. Do this even if your employer has not issued your Record of Employment form yet. In such a case, you need to provide Service Canada with proof of your employment like pay stubs and T-4 slips. The sooner you apply for EI, the less likely you are to lose out on any EI payments you are entitled to.  

If you have any trouble obtaining your ROE, call Service Canada’s EI information helpline on 1-800-206-7218.

For help finding employment, get in touch with our recruiters today.